Card spread & ritual for Capricorn season
Capricorn, our cardinal Earth sign, invites us to create structure, heal around masculinity, and climb the mountain towards our dreams.
In this blog post, I’ll be sharing a card spread and a ritual for Capricorn season. To learn more about Capricorn energy and your personal birth chart’s connection to Capricorn, check out our Understanding the Energy of Capricorn Season blog post.
Card Spread for Capricorn Season
We’ll use this card spread to explore the invitations and lessons Capricorn has to teach you this season. Feel free to use a tarot deck or an oracle deck (like The Ritual Deck) for this spread – whichever resonates with you.
I invite you to create a ritual space for you and your deck to communicate by taking a moment to ground and center yourself however feels good to you. In the spirit of Capricorn season and Earth energy, you might like to ground and center by rooting your feet into the ground or placing your hands somewhere on your body and breathing into them.
When you feel grounded and ready, shuffle your deck and draw a card for each of the following questions:
- What is Capricorn season here to teach me?
- How can I build my dreams and desires this season?
- How to create structure for my softness this season?
- Possibilities Capricorn season is opening up for me?
After you pull your cards, sit with them. Try to take some time to journal or meditate with them to really connect with the full meaning they have to offer you. At the end of the season, you might like to revisit your cards and reflect on how they unfolded throughout the season. How did they show up? What did you learn about yourself, and about the cards through the way they manifested this season?
Capricorn Season Ritual for Holding Your Softness
This is a ritual to support you in holding your softness. This is the Capricorn/Cancer polarity: Capricorn creates the supportive space for you to feel all that you feel. In this ritual, you’ll create a sacred space to explore your feelings in a supportive and nurturing space.
- a bowl
- some stones (they could be any kind of stones — I like using stones I’ve gathered from nature around me!)
- the structure card you pulled in the tarot spread above.
1. Open your ritual with some kind of grounding and centering that feels good to you. If calling in the directions or casting a circle is in your practice, feel free to do that here.
2. When you feel ready, invite in any energies, plants, ancestors, and/or other beings who embody healthy, liberated, masculine energy and have your highest and best at heart. Gender is a construct and energies go beyond binaries, so don’t limit yourself! If it feels like masculine energy and it feels good to you, go ahead and invite it in. You can do this by speaking aloud or silently offering the invitation. If there are no energies or beings you specifically want to name, you can just cast out a wide invitation.
3. When you feel those energies join, notice how you feel. Let them really be here and let it be an invitation to embody your masculine, too — whatever that means to you. Let it take up residence in your body, unfurl this energy from where it already exists within you. See how it feels and what it brings up as you sit in meditation with these energies. Ask them to support you in holding structure for your softness — perhaps breathing into your ribs, the hard, flexible structure that holds your soft organs underneath as inspiration.
4. When you feel ready, place your tarot card next to your bowl and begin lining it with stones. Notice how the stones feel in your hands as you intentionally build an Earth structure for water to sink into.
5. After your structure feels complete, pour water into your bowl. Let the water represent your softness, your feelings, your heart. See how the bowl and the stones can hold it. If feelings arise, trust that you are held by these energies and soften into them. Let this ritual rewire old stories that it isn’t safe to feel, that there isn’t anyone there to hold you, that you can’t fall apart.
6. Stay here as long as you like, and close with a few deep breaths. Leave your bowl on your altar for a few days if you’d like as a reminder of this Capricorn/Cancer polarity, and how held you are in your softness.
Happy Capricorn season and winter solstice! I hope this card spread and ritual support – share your spreads and rituals on Instagram and tag us @cassieuhl so we can see them!
Categorised in: Cassie Uhl
About Eryn Johnson
Eryn Johnson is a breathwork facilitator, tarot reader, and Reiki Master based in Fishtown, Philadelphia. She is also the host of the Living Open podcast for mystics and seekers, a storytelling tool here to help facilitate soul evolution. The foundation of her work is energetic and based on the belief that there's nothing wrong with you- we are simply programmed from a young age to forget the truth of who we are. She uses energy work, storytelling, and breathwork to guide you back to you - your heart, your power, your magic. Find her work at www.living-open.com and @erynj_ on Instagram.